Walking classes of Sedgwick Reserve are offered on the second Saturdays of the month between December and August. Classes focus on the ecology of Sedgwick Reserve and are led by leading scientists, educators and naturalists specializing in California's physical and natural sciences.
Winter Classes: December 9, January 13, February 10
Spring Classes: March 10, April 14, May 12
Summer Classes: June 9, July 14, August 11
Pre-registration is required and classes are limited to 20 participants. A donation of $20 is requested to help support our outreach program.
General Information about the public participation in Walking Ecology Classes
- Learn more about this month's class offerings here
- Class organization begins at 8:30 on the steps of the Tipton Meeting House unless noted otherwise.
- You will be asked to sign a University of California Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement;
- A suggested donation of $25.00 per person in support of the public education program is greatly appreciated (6% gift processing fee assessed per UC policy). Your donation can be made online here or on day of the class via cash or a check made out to UC REGENTS.
- Sturdy walking or hiking shoes are recommended. Tennis shoes are permitted, sandals are not.
- Long pants and long sleeves are recommended (we do have ticks!)
- Wear a hat & apply sunscreen
- Bring plenty of water and a trail snack
- Hikes will not take place in or following periods of rain. If you are unsure of the weather, we will leave a message on the Reserve’s answering machine (805) 686-1941 advising of any cancellation.
- Please leave your dog at home. They are not allowed on the trails and the parking area is not shaded.